We are joining Playworks, a nonprofit organization for Portland’s Shamrock Run this year. Several of our representatives will be participating in the 15K. Of all the organizations we could have joined we are proud to be part of the Playworks team because we feel like they are the “Archetype” of their field. Playworks is the only nonprofit organization in the country providing trained, full-time play coaches focused on recess to hundreds of low-income schools in major urban areas. They also provide training and technical assistance to schools, districts and youth organizations that wish to include inclusive, healthy play as part of a positive learning environment.
One of our representatives, also a former school teacher, became familiar with Playworks and presented their organization to us. We are a company that wants to support nonprofit organizations that are making a real difference in real time. Schools involved with Playworks have seen a difference in how children interact with each other, and engage in school, ultimately leading to future success in and out of school. This kind of organization shares the ideology and understanding that our children are our future. It is important our children learn how to have effective play, reducing trouble in school, including bullying.
We are excited for our pre-run Happy Hour with Playworks at Blitz tonight to celebrate!
Check out last year’s Shamrock Run!
- Why We Need To PLAY More in Schools (radicalparenting.com)
- Creating a Powerful Education for Our Children (Guest post by Beth Kimberly @Playworks) (coopcatalyst.wordpress.com)
- Recess re-imagined: Playworks helps kids behave, learn better ()
- HYDROPONICS: further musing about the gulf between what is taught in universities on playwork degrees, and the concerns of its teachers, and what is needed for the field, by the field and suchlike, #2 (plexity.wordpress.com)
- Making Indoor Recess More Active (parenting.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Women Social Entrepreneurs In Forbes “Impact 30″ (forbes.com)
- Lucky Shamrock Tarot Reading Special (janetboyer.typepad.com)
- Guest Q&A: Big Small Brands founder Jen Barth shares her secrets to building a nonprofit brand (paysimple.com)
- HYDROPONICS continued – musing on the disconnect between a thing and how it is done and how it is taught, using the example of ‘playwork’ (plexity.wordpress.com)
- Isn’t this what playwork is all about? (plexity.wordpress.com)